In pursuing the goal of making Main Street Houston’s signature boulevard, the Main Street Coalition:
• Drawn on the vision and know-how of more than 70 participating civic groups, agencies, businesses and institutions.
• Sponsored an international design competition, selecting Ehrenkrantz Eckstat & Kuhn to create the Main Street Urban Design Master Plan.
• Advanced design concepts through the Main Street Urban Design Master Plan the formed the basis for system design for the landmark METRORail line connecting the Central Business District to Reliant Park.
• Engaged Houston-based The Goodman Company and JR3 to create the Main Street Strategic Plan to advance funding strategies and partnerships for individual transit and pedestrian oriented projects.
• Partnered with the Urban Land Institute Houston Chapter to engage the private developer community in creating development guidelines to implement the goals envisioned in the Main Street Urban Design Master Plan.
• Sponsored a two-year process called the Urban Corridor Planning Initiative conducted by The Planning Partnership that resulted in the adoption of major changes in City policy embodied in the Transit Corridor Ordinance.
• In partnership with the City of Houston, Harris County, METRO, the Texas Department of Transportation, management districts, foundations and other private donors, secured more than $10 million in funding to support streetscape and pedestrian realm enhancements in the corridor.