The South Main area provides higher education and specialized learning opportunities to nearly 60,000 and lifelong learning opportunities to all Houstonians.
- The Texas Medical Center trains 33,000 high school, college and graduate students in health care professions.
- Houston Community College – Central has a Fall 2013 enrollment of 19,800, is the largest land owner in Midtown, is home to The Honors College and has the only Child Development Lab School in Houston.
- Rice University-- One of the top 20 research universities in the country according to U.S. News & World Report and No. 1 for quality of life according to the Princeton Review, located on 285 wooded acres in the heart of Houston. Rice is the birthplace of nanotechnology and home to leading schools and centers, including the acclaimed Shepherd School of Music, the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, and the Kinder Institute for Urban Research.
- University of St. Thomas – located in the Museum District has been recognized as a College of Distinction by Student Horizons and welcomes undergraduate and graduate students from 40 states and 58 countries.
- Since 1932, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo has committed $330 million to educating the youth of Texas.
- Many youngsters are introduced to the performing arts free at Miller Outdoor Theatre and to the wonders of nature in Hermann Park.
- 19 area museums offer education for all ages about art, science and history in one of the nation’s largest cultural districts: Asia Society of Texas, Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, The Children’s Museum of Houston, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, the Czech Cultural Center, The Health Museum, the Holocaust Museum Houston, the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, the Houston Center for Photography, the Houston Museum of African American Culture, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Houston Zoo, the Jung Center, Lawndale Art Center, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, The Menil Collection, Rice University Art Gallery, the Rothko Chapel and the Weather Museum.